nafex - [NAFEX] Grape cultivars

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grape cultivars
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:58:32 -0400

Speaking of grape cultivars. . .

I have a single vine of Canadice. It's growing in the only spot where I can put a grape. Unfortunately, it ripens too early. "Too early" means I am out of town on my regular summer vacation when it gets ripe enough to attract the critters, so I don't get any of the grapes. If it ripened in September instead of August, I might have a fighting chance.

I live in eastern Mass., in Zone 6. The spot where I can put a grape doesn't get quite full sun, and it took several years for this vine to start bearing. So I have a couple of questions:

1) Can I graft something to this grape rootstock to save time over planting something new from scratch?
2) If I plant a different grape, is there anything in particular I ought to know about removing the current grape vine, or replenishing the soil? There are a lot of rocks in the area (this in New England) so digging a giant hole is not really an option.
3) Any recommendations for good September (or October?) grapes for eastern Massachusetts? I can get sweet, mildly flavored grapes in the supermarket, and am looking for something with some flavor, although I prefer some grape flavors to others. I like the flavor of Concord, but I prefer seedless. My uncle has some NY Muscat that's very tasty. I don't care for Niagara.

Thanks for any advice,

Ginda