nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Figs - Oiling - It Works!

  • From: "John Barbowski" <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Figs - Oiling - It Works!
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 23:47:25 -0400

Hello Del,

Any frost is bad for figs. Move them indoors into a sunny location. I have heard of people harvesting the goodies in Feb, when it was -20 outside! If you are energetic, you might move them outside on warm, sunny, fall days. I believe that a dormant period is needed at some time; if you grow yours all year round, time might catch up to you. Also, put them in the largest container you can manage. Regardless, figs need lots of water, but only water when dry. My seven foot potted plant with upwards of 70 figs took four litres of water daily! I also gave it 20-20-20 at least once per month.

I'll admit that all my oiling was not successful. There are some figs on a California King Fig that are still no larger than a walnut (2nd year now!). Oiling worked reasonably well for my Turkish Brown (90% success). I oiled the larger ones, and now, a week after harvest, the others are maturing normally. But my Cal King still seems to be on strike! Oiling will speed up the process once a certain level of fig maturity and size has been realized. The posting on Figs by Martha Davis was interesting. I wonder if figs would mature more quickly if one puts decaying apples on the pot surface.

Since your plant is just over a year old, I don't believe your 'cherries' will mature, and oiling probably won't help. I suspect that either genetic immaturity or insufficient root structure is coming into play! You should have a reasonable crop next year. Don't be disheartened; some people don't have any figs for up to 4 years.

jmb