nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fixes for squirrel problems? tried animal psychic

  • From: "Dianne Stephany" <iluvdanc@rochester.rr.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fixes for squirrel problems? tried animal psychic
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:54:31 -0400

Hi
I tried the animal psychic before when the neighbors cat kept shapening its claws on my plum tree. Cats are pretty independent and he didnt like me telling him not to do it. So I had to wrap the trunk with the plastic wrap. But talking to the animals has worked before- I got a mouse to leave. It doesnt seem to work for hornets or yellow jackets at all.
We did not get hit by the big freeze like others have mentioned. None of our trees were in bloom so they missed it. We have had a drought that is still going on that began in April. We are behind in rain this year, last time I looked 1.5 inches. I know that is not a lot compared to GA and other places where they no longer have grass but a dust yard, but it has still been hard on the trees and gardens here.

I know the drought has made it bad for the birds and animals this year. Not much in the way of seed or fruit for them to eat because of the drought. We had about a dozen apricots for the first time ever- squirrels got every one them. All of our 20 oz apples - about 2 doz- got pecked by the crows this year while they were still green. Our Fortune apples are also getting pecked as soon as they show any red on them. This is the first time that this has ever happened. I have put out things for the crows but I know they are still hungry. I also feed the birds. It was the first time I put suet out as late as Aug for them and we saw many woodpeckers and bluejays feeding fledglings this year at the suet. The goldfinches are working over my zinnias and sunflowers- but that is ok since I planted the seeds for the birds, anyway. It is close to the laying of eggs for the Goldfinches so they are looking for food sources. So yes, it has been a hard summer for the animals. Birds never have bothered our red currants- we had lots of tiny little ones this year. A lot of them fell off due to the drought and lay on the ground.

I don't mind sharing, but stripping a tree of fruit before it is even ripe and leaving it laying around is not my idea of a game. My husband says that I just don't like the "natural order" of things- like squirrels acting like squirrels-- that is where "squirrely" came from, eh? I have calmed down about the the squirrels after I spent most of the day yesterday thinking of various ways to warn off, poison or kill them.

It is raining today - we got 0.04 inches yesterday -and 67 degrees again. 67 in AUGUST! Amazing.

Dianne Stephany, Rochester, NY zone 5