nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple dropping

  • From: "David Doud" <doudone@netusa1.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple dropping
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 23:02:36 -0400

heat and drought will cause apples to drop - I'm sure you've had plenty of heat - insect and disease damage will also cause fruit to fall - do the apples have good seeds? - low seed count from the freeze will cause small apples that don't mature - how's the foliage condition? green and healthy or disease/insect/mite damaged and shedding leaves?

Harralson is a northern apple that ripens in a short, cool season - not well suited to southern IN - its degree day requirements have been met, and here it is 100*F - lots of things working against you this season -  -