nafex - [NAFEX] Four-on-one apple tree

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Four-on-one apple tree
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 08:58:55 -0500

Lon J. Rombough wrote: "Most nurseries in this area won't sell multiple variety trees any more.
One of the biggest problems was that one variety would almost always
outgrow the rest and either leave the tree unbalanced, or the weaker
ones would get pruned off."

That has not happened to my two trees that were made into four-on-one apple trees. All of the four varieties' boles are approximately the same diameter, even the original, ungrafted, variety. I could see where Lon's warning could happen with budded varieties but mine were all regular grafts.

I waited this long to respond because my computer was in the shop.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(877)265-6856 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

  • [NAFEX] Four-on-one apple tree, Jim Fruth, 08/06/2007