nafex - [NAFEX] elderberry destemming

  • From: "TIM INMAN" <TIM@HISTORICINTERIORS.COM>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] elderberry destemming
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 10:51:26 -0500

Last year was our first attempt with elderberries.  After I lost patience with the fork method, I went 'Red Green' on the deal and it worked.  I put the berries in a clean 5-gallon bucket and blasted the whole works with a garden hose on full bore.  Knocked off the berries and most of the little stems.  Rubbed 'em around gently underwater to knock off the rest - and fed the ones that wouldn't cooperate to the birds.  Mother nature blesses us with WAY TOO MANY elderberries, so we can be pretty choosy about the ones we keep.

Good Luck!

Tim Inman
Randolph, IA
Zone 4

  • [NAFEX] elderberry destemming, TIM INMAN, 08/06/2007