nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Lymans Large Summer

  • From: "David Doud" <doudone@netusa1.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Lymans Large Summer
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 23:23:09 -0400

I'd let the trickle run continuously - it's not much good to play catch-up with either - if you can drag a hose there and use an appropriate sprinkler to really soak up the ground, I'd recommend it - - I've removed the emitters from my trickle lines (since the trees have grown) and now if it's dry 2-3 weeks before projected harvest I turn that row on and let it run continuously for 3-4-5 days out of the holes that were punched for the emitters - gets the ground good and sopped up and makes a difference - I don't have the pump capacity to do the whole orchard at the same time, so strategy comes into play -

You are right, it has been extremely dry here, and I have been suspicious about that, since my trees are in raised beds, making them dry out even more.  So this year I put in a drip irrigation system and have been running it twice a day, generally (about 5 gallons per dwarf tree per day).  Maybe I need to water even more.

Thanks again!

Mark