nafex - Re: [NAFEX] choosing an apple tree

  • From: Doug Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] choosing an apple tree
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 23:09:04 -0400

I'd say that any peach or nectarine in USDA Zone 4 is a wild gamble with the next winter. A test winter in such a zone will kill it stone dead unless some special protection is used. The late Fred Ashworth was in St. Lawrence Caounty, New York, on the north slope of the Adirondacks in a climate more severe than Ottawa, Ontario (accoridng to Bill MacKentley who carries on the St. Lawrence Nursery that Fred founded).. I've read that Fred used to plant peaches on dwarfing
rootstock, tie up the branches, and drop old tires around the tree until it was completely surrounded, then he would cover the top of the tires. Some people have used similar methods with figs, and the Siberians are said to grow apples very low to the ground in areas where they will be completely covered with snow.

In country areas where the rabbits are a threat I'd say that you cage the trees or fence the orchard with chiken wire or you invest in a good orchard ladder and grow a tree big enough so that you only have to protect the trunk. Of course growing it until it's big enough may be a challenge.

In the old days I would guess that either farm dogs, or snaring the rabbits for the pot, or both, kept the rabbits down.

A lot of people who have grown multi-variety trees report that it's very difficult to keep the cultivars which grow at different rates properly pruned on one tree. The most vigourous cutivar(s) tends to take over. If you want just one cultivar your dominant use and desired season of use along with the type of cultivation (organic low spray or conventional treatment) will determine the selection.

Think about recommendations for Minnesota or the hardier apples from St. Lawrence Nursery's ctalogue.

Rather than a nectarine you might want to think about a hardy cherry like Evans/Bali or one or two plums. Perhaps Mount Royal for a European (partly self-fertile; be careful about the rootstock) or a pair of the best natives or Japanese/native hybrids. Yakima is a European good for the less severe parts of Zone 4, very high quality but shy bearer, I thnik not self-fertile. If you are space-limited a few gooseberries of really good cultivars like Hinnomaki Red and Hinnomaki Yellow (slightly better but smaller and fussier) might suit. I don't know how rabbits and gooseberries get along. Meadow voles like goosebrries well enough.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Toni Pralle wrote:
So far I have had one apple from my trees. After waiting until they
were old enough I did get one apple last year. Then a hard freeze and
the rabbits pruned them to a 4 ft. trunk. The apple and peach have
survived.........But I think I will plant a multiple variety apple
tree. Which one do I want for zone 4?

I have not had good luck with the nectarines from Gurney's/Henry
Field. I still would like to plant a couple but I'd like to have them
live more than two years. Where should I buy from next?