nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nurseries

  • From: "Lucky.PIttman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.PIttman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nurseries
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 05:51:43 -0500

Michael wrote:
It defintely depends on what you are buying. Some
people have had good experiences with Stark and some
have not. If you're looking for nut trees, Stark is
not your first choice. As lucky points out, Nolin
River is awesome for nut trees.

While I've not purchased any of them, Starks is
offering most of its grafted nut trees as 'RPM'
trees, grown, no doubt, by the Forrest Keeling
Nursery, over at Elsberry, MO. These RPM rootstock
seedlings are grown in 'rootmaker'-type pots, and
potted up at least 2-3 times during the growing
process, so you end up with a specimen with a
well-developed lateralized root system, which should
translate into higher transplant survival and faster
establishment than would be the case with bare root
pecans/walnuts, etc., that you'd get from any other
nursery, NRNTN included.
Still, I'm unashamed to promote my friends the
Brittains as a primo source for nut trees.

Lucky