nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nurseries

  • From: "Lucky.PIttman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.PIttman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nurseries
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 07:52:54 -0500

Deb,
I don't recall where you're located.

Check out the Nursery/Suppliers list at the NAFEX
website - www.nafex.org; most all of those
listed/linked there are reputable.
It may be easiest to tell you which ones to avoid.
Biggest ones I can think of, off the top of my head,
to warn you to 'stay away from' are TyTy(and any of
its incarnations), Southmeadow, Michigan Bulb and
Four Seasons.

It's been years since I ordered anything other than
pear rootstocks(once you've planted more than a
couple of apples on M7 or M111 you'll have enough
suckers to provide a lifetime of apple rootstocks to
play with), so I can't really make many first-hand
recommendations. NAFEX members are great about
sharing scionwood and other plant materials, so just
about anything I've wanted for the past 10 years,
I've gotten for the cost of postage.

Trees I got from Miller & Starks were OK, but much
less impressive than those I got from the now-defunct
Bear Creek Nursery; neither nursery states(or used
not to) what rootstock their stuff is on - don't know
if you could press them for the answer or not. And
Stark has that irritating thing about renaming things
'Starking Hardy Giant this' and 'Starkilicious that',
etc.
Pear rootstocks from Raintree were fabulous, but
shipping costs were substantial.
Containerized stuff from Edible Landscaping was small
and pricey, but all survived nicely and have grown well.
Nut trees - Nolin River Nut Tree Nursery is THE place.

Lucky