nafex - [NAFEX] japanese beetles and question

  • From: "Dianne Stephany" <iluvdanc@rochester.rr.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] japanese beetles and question
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 11:20:21 -0400

Title: My VistaPrint Electronic Business Card
Hi
We picked 18 qts of tiny little red currants due to the drought this year compared to 44 qts last year. In addition my husband "picked" 9 japanese beetles! First time for the beetles.   I am not sure how he did that without knowing it.  They are really bad this year. They love my zinnias- maybe we could plant them as a decoy. The other thing is that they wrap themselves in the zinnia leaf so they are hard to see- I had even looked at the red currants and didnt see any before he started picking.  Maybe they were wrapped in a leaf, and dropped into the berry bowl when my husband pulled on the stem with the berries- and also got the beetles hiding in the leaves?

Q - Will lawn grub-ex like stuff kill the larvae off for next year?   We had treated the lawn with milky spore and didn't have any beetles for years -till this year. Maybe they are flying in from the neighbors like the dastardly red lilly leaf beetle.  any helpful hints on that one ?

Dianne Stephany,
zone 5, Rochester, NY - where tiny winesap apples are going red already!!!