nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sour/sweet cherry hybrids

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sour/sweet cherry hybrids
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 09:32:40 -0400

To other avid fruit explorers,

A friend from Tcheque Republic gave me a seedling of a dark sour cherry that
was started at his place here north of Ottawa (Canada). The seed came from a
tree that still exists where he used to live near the German border, in an
area that was German territory at the beginning of the century, at the time
of the Kaiser.
The mother tree is similar to what you described, and I have tasted an
alcohol made from the dark cherry. Great stuff! I was promised the recipe if
I can grow this tree.
The tree is not doing well here, my soil is sandy (what type of soil does
those cherry trees prefer?), the climate is also colder and it is a unique
seedling, so not necessarily the best sample.
Last year we had a thaw in January followed by extreme cold weather which
did a lot of damages to the wood of all fruit trees.(Many trees are now
sending growth beneath the damaged zones.) Even the grapes look dead at
first and took a long time to come back but will not bear fruit this year.
This cherry tree got damages but survived. The top is growing a little,
there is new growth below (4 strong branches in the first 30 cm near the
ground. What is the best procedure to rescue this tree?)
I have started adding clay with organic matter to all my trees as we have a
sandy south slope that is very dry and well above water level. We also have
a big stream running through east-west well below my garden with a beaver
dam. This year, the beavers have made a massive dam that diverted the course
of the stream and made available a wonderful clay based material full of
worms in great quantity. (That has been our main source of fertilizer this
year and all plants are responding extremely well. The leaves of apple trees
are becoming darker and larger, the garden is very productive.) It also
increases the water retention of the soil.
The Evans cherry (a variety developed recently for cold hardiness in the
experimental farm in northern Saskatchewan) was not disturbed in the least
by the thawing and freezing in January and is full of fruits (only third
season). The only problem I see with the Evans cherry is that it sends new
shoots in all direction well over a meter from the tree. It's great if you
want to duplicate your tree, but very bad if you want to contain it. Can you
do something to limit this popping up of new shoots like mushrooms?
My Tcheque dark sour cherry tree is producing one cherry, solidly hanging on
but alas bitten by an insect (a chunk is missing and the fruit will not
amount to much, which is too bad, I was curious to see and taste a fruit).
If the cherry matures in spite of the injury, will the seed be viable? Is
this variety requiring cross polination, like with the Evans cherry close
by, in the hope that it would increase cold resistance with the next
generation....
Many questions this morning!
Thank you in advance,
Hélène, zone3-4