nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Primocaine raspberry?

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Primocaine raspberry?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 11:27:38 -0700 (PDT)

Bill,

There could be a number of things going on here. It
could certainly be some sort of sport, but my guess is
that is not. Best bet is to watch and see if it
happens again next year from the same spot.

Every now and then, black raspberries will put out a
strong cane which grows and acts like a primocane and
starts flowering just before the main crop ripens
about 4-6 weeks after the normal flowering time.
These inevitably die back completely in the fall after
fruiting, however, and don't tend to repeatedly show
up. I think they are basal buds which sprout into
strong laterals, but there is something else going on
because their morphology is different and I'm not sure
why.

There are primocane fruiting black raspberries but
they are unusual. I wouldn't expect them to start
blooming for a few more weeks yet. In addition, the
lower half which doesn't flower will produce fruit
next year like a primocane fruiting red raspberry
rather than dying completely.

So best thing you can do is keep your eyes on it for
now and enjoy the fruit. In the spirit of a true
plant explorer, you could also try saving a few of the
fruit, planting out the seed, and watching the
resulting seedlings, you never know what you'll get
:-)

Hope this helps

Michael

--- "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>