nafex - [NAFEX] Early summer grafting questions

  • From: "Randall Burd" <burdrs@comcast.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Early summer grafting questions
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 19:38:44 -0400

Title: Message
1. This year, I took each apple rootstock and cut them into two (a stem part and a root part) and grafted onto each piece. The 'stem-only' trees initially did great with good growth but eventually started to wither back. Did I do something crazy? Will these recover?

2. I have several grafted apples (with roots on the rootstock like you are supposed to) that have slightly black bark and no apparent growth. Whe I scratch the outer layer, there is clearly green underneach. Will these grafts eventually be successful? If I get no growth by the fall, should I toss them?

Thanks.

  • [NAFEX] Early summer grafting questions, Randall Burd, 06/22/2007