nafex - [NAFEX] [Fwd: Ineffective Milky Spore?]

  • From: Don Yellman <don.yellman@webformation.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] [Fwd: Ineffective Milky Spore?]
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:40:14 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Ineffective Milky Spore?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:25:23 -0400
From: Don Yellman <don.yellman@webformation.com>
To: nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org

Hector:

I don't have an explanation for why milky spore has not worked well for you.
It certainly has for me, and for many years. Without it, I would be simply
infested with the things. I would look for a cause other than beetles flying
in from distance, since I am convinced they only go far enough to find
vegetation and begin their mating dance.

As an experiment, I applied one 40 oz. can thinly spread over two acres on my
son's place just north of Charlottesville, VA last July. The summer of '06
was particularly bad for JB's in that region, and his place was completely
infested with many thousands of the things. In spite of the very low
application rate, and the short interval for allowing the milky spore to
become established, he has zero Japanese beetles so far this season. They
may yet show up, but last year at this time they were already there.

On my own place, I have tasty vegetation everywhere, and have yet to see one
this summer. Again, a few may show up later. I hate to see them all die
out, since I don't want to starve my milky spore.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA