nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Zone 3 Persimmon

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Zone 3 Persimmon
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:24:14 EDT

In a message dated 6/11/2007 8:40:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jfruth@tds.net writes:

  Is there really a zone 3 persimmon?  I bought two,alleged, zone 3
(wild?) persimmon last year and, after an unusually mild Winter, one died
down to the (almost no) snow line and the other died completely.

Hi Jim,

I'm going to place myself out on a limb and give you my best guess as I'm in zone 5b. No, there isn't likely a zone three persimmon. But I'd like to see you try an early bearing variety such as Juhl or Claypool's H-118, a daughter of Juhl.

Once established D. virginiana (90 chromosome race) may survive your winters but likely you don't have a long enough growing season for fruit to mature and ripen. Even here in central west Indiana (zone 5b) the 60 chromosome persimmon doesn't ripen. I've tried several of them. They survive our winters, and we often get below -10F, but fruit stays green because the growing season ends too soon.

One more thing. You may have better luck establishing persimmon by starting from seed, then grafting.

Jerry

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.