nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Garlic questions

  • From: road's end farm <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Garlic questions
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 08:48:48 -0400

On Jun 12, 2007, at 4:47 AM, Rick Hurd wrote:

Hello,

I have planted garlic, and want to multiply it as much as possible so that I can replant it next year. Should I remove the flower pods before it blooms? When is the best time to harvest it?

I live in NE Missouri, USA.

Harvest bulbs when about half the leaves have mostly died back and about half the leaves are still green.

Snap the scapes (flower stalks) off while they are still tender enough to snap or pull instead of cut. Then eat them (or bunch and sell them, if you have lots.) Chop up and use the whole stem portion of the scape in any recipe using garlic. The portion where the flower would be will be too tough to use in most recipes. The curled section with the tip still attached can also be used for edible garnish. They will keep for a couple of weeks or more in the refrigerator.

When did you plant? I don't know for sure about Missouri; but in most of the USA, garlic is fall planted: in most of NY state, planted ideally in mid-October, harvest the next July. It's day length dependent, and will start to bulb up in late June, however big the tops are; if it hasn't had time to grow much, the bulbs will be small.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly