nafex - [NAFEX] (no subject)

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] (no subject)
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 15:15:51 -0400

That could be a problem, but for two years I thought it was a disease and was spraying sulphur, copper, etc which would have almost no effect at all on predators. I have only done two malathion sprays in the five years; one of them was last weekend. The oil or soap could have in theory done in a predator; I never saw any predators on them.

My guess is I have some different condition - the trees were particularly weak, the ants I have are particularly good at moving psylla to new locations (if they even do that - I'm not sure what the symbiotic ants are doing), the common predator has yet to show up in my yard, there is some spore or virus that they normally catch but it has not caught up with my psylla yet, etc.

Anyway, for some good news I hope to finally get some persimmons this year. My Hachiya, Great Wall, and Chocolate are all loaded with baby persimmons.

Scott

I have a lot of psylla here in northern TN, but I have not seen any
detrimental effects, just minor cosmetic damage. The trees are growing very
vigorously now in their second year, having reached about 10 feet, with the
grafts about 4 feet off the ground. I also got my scions from Scott, so I'm
growing the same clones. I'm wondering if Scott's spraying to control them
is eliminating/reducing a beneficial insect. I have never sprayed anything
on mine.

Hal