nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Raccoons

  • From: Del Stubbs <northernlights2n@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Raccoons
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 05:03:05 -0700 (PDT)

Another method, if you get an electric fencer and have only a few trees, is
'electric
chicken wire'. It worked perfectly one year when I had 5 new apple varieties
to taste.
When apples were a coople weeks from picking time I weed whipped the grass
down to ground
around each tree. Formed a cylander of old 2' wide checken wire around the
trunk a foot
or two in diameter and hung it from 3 branches with twine so it was a couple
inches off
the ground. Then ran a wire from my elec fence to each. Sounds like a bit of
trouble but
it took probably 5 or 10 minutes a tree, and best of all it worked 100%
(racoons have
very tender front paws) and I got to trial 5 more apple varietoes I'd been
waiting on 8
years. I have several hundred trees in my experimental orchard so I will only
do this
when it is really important, naturally. Our orchard is too far for the dog to
take care
of, so my now I'm running old chicken wire around the base of the deer fence
and just
above it a couple elec wires the racoons would have to cross to get in.
Regarding fencers, I 'd recommend going to a farm store and getting a basic
small $40
field fencer, good for 10 miles of wire, rather than one of the pricey but
weak ones
sold for yards.
The sheet metal suggestion is good if your trunk is tall enough, I use it to
keep
porcupines off a few pines I'm trying to save.
Del

Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com zone 3 N. MN

Get the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the added security of
spyware protection.