nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberry question

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberry question
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 09:33:27 -0500

Jim, I think it depends on whether the jam is to be sold or not. The
brown flowers or "tails" are unsightly unless the berries are pureed and
then they cannot be seen (although the puree may look a little strange
to someone who knows what jam made with clean gooseberries looks like).
I think the bit of green stem is not that noticeable. Guess if I were
selling gooseberry jam, I'd have the berries tailed but probably not
worry about the stems. My mom, who admittedly very particular, cleaned
both ends of the berry. But I've talked to folks whose family never
tailed the berries. -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.