nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fire blight on dwarf apple espalier

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fire blight on dwarf apple espalier
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 05:44:13 -0400 (EDT)

And for the future, during the growing season infection is readily
trnsmitted on cutting tools. Tools need to be disinfected after each cut.
I believe a chlorine bleach solution is usually used, I don't know whether
alcohol is effective.

Two inches is far too small a margin. I think the usual practice is eight
inches below visible discolouration. However you should get instructions
from a *knowledegable source* (state or provincial government?) and
follow them.

Fireblight has to be dealt with ruthlessly and meticulously.

Avoid heavy nitrogen ferrtilization, especially with pears. With
nonresistent pears you may want to avoid *any* nitrogen fertilization. I
have seen a young block of Bartlett pears infected because a field across
a laneway was planted to sweetcorn and the pear roots running under the
laneway picked up the nitrogen fertilizer from the sweetcorn field.

I've also seen several old trees of Sheldon pear ruined by fireblight
after they were topworked to Bosc and fertilized with nitrogen.

I understand that the Harrow program of breeding fireblight resistant
pears was started to a large extent to be able to fertilize with nitrogen
and get economic yields.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada