nafex - Re: [NAFEX] finches in apple trees

  • From: akmanty <akmanty@localnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] finches in apple trees
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 17:12:53 -0500

Good idea, will try.  Thank you.

At 09:09 AM 5/8/2007, you wrote:
I have seen birds eating apple flower-buds too.  I think it was waxwings though.
Mine isn't a commercial orchard and the bird numbers weren't great.  But I had to
wonder if they were after the sugars.  Probably should have looked up what waxwings
usually eat.

Just an idea: try setting out trays of chopped fruits, see if they want apples or
bananas or citrus.  Might keep them off the trees' buds, except those waxwings I saw
where in the tops of trees.

--- Stephen Sadler <> wrote:

> I combined some mylar bird-scare stuff, this page has some:
> http://tinyurl.com/23l8ce ,
> and a seed feeder.  We have also always had pyracantha, and many birds
> prefer the voluminous red-orange berries to other food sources on the
> property.  I know with the feeder you incur the additional cost of birdfeed,
> but I'm someone who likes birds in the yard, as long as they're eating the
> seeds and for-the-birds berries and leaving my food alone.
>
> I found the mylar stuff works better than fake owls, as it moves with the
> slightest breeze, presenting different sounds, shapes, and colors.
>
> I've used netting for small red fruits like strawberries, but it seems
> impractical for trees.

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.
----