nafex - Re: [NAFEX] finches in apple trees

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] finches in apple trees
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 07:09:28 -0700 (PDT)

I have seen birds eating apple flower-buds too. I think it was waxwings
though.
Mine isn't a commercial orchard and the bird numbers weren't great. But I
had to
wonder if they were after the sugars. Probably should have looked up what
waxwings
usually eat.

Just an idea: try setting out trays of chopped fruits, see if they want
apples or
bananas or citrus. Might keep them off the trees' buds, except those
waxwings I saw
where in the tops of trees.