nafex - Re: [NAFEX] finches in apple trees

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] finches in apple trees
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 18:21:37 -0700

I combined some mylar bird-scare stuff, this page has some:
http://tinyurl.com/23l8ce ,
and a seed feeder. We have also always had pyracantha, and many birds
prefer the voluminous red-orange berries to other food sources on the
property. I know with the feeder you incur the additional cost of birdfeed,
but I'm someone who likes birds in the yard, as long as they're eating the
seeds and for-the-birds berries and leaving my food alone.

I found the mylar stuff works better than fake owls, as it moves with the
slightest breeze, presenting different sounds, shapes, and colors.

I've used netting for small red fruits like strawberries, but it seems
impractical for trees.

~ Stephen