nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaw shading question

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaw shading question
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 11:22:28 EDT

Dear Mark,

I've started several hundred pawpaws from seed. I've tried many things, and shade the first year is important. I've found that a two foot shade such as a tree tube works very well. If it grows out the top the first year it will survive. Generally, I'd say all that grow at least 12" the first year can have the shelter removed at the start of the second growing year.

I've also planted a few w/o first year shelter and many survived, but I kept them watered well the first year. Don't augment the soil the with anything that dries the soil out faster such as acid mulch, or even regular mulch. I'd suggest if you want to use acid mulch, top add it the second year. My experience is keeping the soil damp the first year is vital.

I've planted many one year pawpaw seedlings with good root systems w/o shade with very good success.

Jerry

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.