nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaw shading question

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaw shading question
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 20:53:26 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Mark,

Your pawpaw looks perfectly normal and happy. The growing tips of pawpaws
always look a bit wilted compared to pome and prunus fruit trees, but I have
never seen them look any other way. As the tree grows, some pawpaws have
leaves that hang straight down and grow to 14 inches long, others have leaves
that are held more horizontal and grow to only 8 inches.

I have generally used old metal venetian blind slats nailed across a
rectangular frame about 4 ft tall, with the slats spaced a slat-width apart.
Then I used a brace to hold the frame at an angle as close to the tree as
possible. This "50% shade" has worked well.

Jim