nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tall skinny cherry tree pot

  • From: "Regina M. Kreger" <regina@kreger.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tall skinny cherry tree pot
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 20:26:36 -0400

Darn, Tanis, my bf didn't think I should give up on it either.  I guess I'd better shove some dirt back around it again so I can pot it up tomorrow.  Altho I have not much hope for it.  It had begun to leaf out but baby leaflets dried up.  It's 14" tall above what I take to be the graft union.  I think I saw somewhere that it is on Morello rootstock, altho I can't find that now and anyway isn't Northstar a genetic dwarf?  Why graft to something else?  I assumed field-grown because the nursery specified some others (the fig, the peach, one of the pears) as being greenhouse grown (so needing hardening off), tho now that you mention it the pawpaws weren't among those either and I guessed pot-grown. I dunno, I guess it was grown in that pot.  Still seems an odd choice, to me.  Of  7 fruit trees in the same order, only the cherry came in that sort of pot.

tanis grif wrote:
How tall or how many years old is the cherry tree?  If it looks WAY too old for the
pot size, I'd say the pot volume rather than shape is to blame.  BUT, also consider
a cause of death might have been too much winter cold on the roots.  I've been
having trouble getting seedlings & 1-yr-old black-cherry thru a winter, in pots,
because even with "good" storage, the roots just can't take it.  Tops leaf out in
spring, and mostly eventually cave.

Are you sure it's a field-grown tree squeezed into this pot?  I just can't picture
any nursery-owner putting toothpaste back in the tube!  I think these pots are
becoming standard for some growers; the tree probably got its start in that pot.

Some parts of the country had a bit worse cold punishment than other winters.  Or
possibly the shipment was exposed to that extreme cold we had in early April-- NOT
necessarily blaming the nursery.

Have you given up on this tree?  I'm seeing some slooowwww recovery on some pears I
transplanted just before that cold snap, and I thought were dead.  Gardeners always
need more planting space, but I hate to pull these up yet!

--- "Regina M. Kreger" <> wrote:

Along with the two seedling pawpaws, I also received a Northstar
cherry.  It came in a pot 4" wide by 13.5" tall.  I thought that was a
little strange.  It has roots along the whole 13.5", with at least one
strong one all the way to the bottom, but of course it is very
constrained.  In fact I think it's dead.  I think it arrived alive but
died within a few days, faster than I could get it in a bigger
container.  I would have expected to get the pawpaws in a tall container
since I've heard they have taproots, but I'd never heard that cherries
have taproots.  I suppose it was field-grown, and this is the root
"ball" they dug up......

This is from a nursery about which I have never heard anything but good,
so I won't name it without at least calling and talking to them about
this.  But since I am still a total novice fruit-grower, I thought I'd
first ask you good folks if it seems weird to you too?

The 2 pawpaws, 1 fig, 1 peach, and 2 pears are all thriving, still in
the pots they shipped in (well, I managed to pot up the fig and peach
just now).

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.
----