nafex - Re: [NAFEX] frost/freeze protection and growing in containers

  • From: JoanRRosenberg@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] frost/freeze protection and growing in containers
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 15:13:23 EDT

I do not know of any books.  I grow small trees and berries in containers, but mine are hardy enough to withstand the winter in the container itself without being moved into a garage.  The larger the container, the more likely the plant will live.  I also leave lots of leaves on the top surface, and make sure it has perfect drainage.  Any ice on the roots and thats the end of the roots.   Do not put anything in a container that is marginal for the area.  If you are in zone 3, use only zone 2 plants outside for the winter.  They must be hardier than the zone to survive in the container.  I am in zone 6/7 and my container plants are zone 4/5/6.

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.