nafex - [NAFEX] Subject: Re: Paw Paw Propagation from seed

  • From: "Toni Pralle" <toni.pralle@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Subject: Re: Paw Paw Propagation from seed
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:38:53 -0500

Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Paw Paw Propagation from seed

I purchased some stratified Paw Paw seed from a nafex member. I've put them in deep pots to accomodate the expected deep tap root. I have about an inch of mulch on top of the seed. What would be an expected timeline for germination and emergence of shoots? I'm told that I might not see any shoots until next spring.>>

I got some paw paw seeds last year (or the year before??) from a member in Arizona. I kept the seeds in the refrigerator over winter and planted them in pots in the spring.  It took them forever to sprout but they finally all did. I'm in Iowa. I've heard that I should have gotten seeds from a more local place but I'm playing with these anyway. I kept them in the house over winter. They dropped all their leaves but now are sprouting all new ones about on the same schedule as my outside trees. I will keep them in the house yet next winter. I'm not sure what I will do this summer. I don't want them to get in the sun and I don't want to forget to water them so the house seems safest. My experience with the seeds I have is that they are following the natural rythum of my local out door trees.

--
Toni in zone 4 Iowa USA
http://www.stopanimalid.org/