nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Definition requested

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Definition requested
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:19:38 -0400

The low-tech way to do the approximate the same thing is to learn which
plants react to temperatures similarly to whatever you need to monitor.
For instance, yard-care people will tell you the time (in NE) to spread
pre-emergent weed killer on the grass is when the forsythia blooms, or a
bit before. I have a problem with winter moths. Last year I caught them
the day they hatched on the apples by careful observation. This year I
remembered that they hatched when the scilla first opened, and the apple
bud scales bagan to separate. So I timed my first spray accordingly.
Judging by the size of the dying caterpillars I found the next day, I was
one or two days past the optimal time, but the prior two days had been both
work days and rainy, so I figure I did about as well as I could.

If you are a commercial farmer, degree day models probably work better.
But if you are a weekend backyard gardener, watching the plants is a decent
substitute.
___
Ginda