nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Definition requested

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <ed.fackler@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Definition requested
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 09:07:18 -0400

Jim:

     Shuck split (in peach anyway) is the time when the fruit expands (approx 10 mm) enough to cause the flower base (shuck) to split and fall off.

     Re: the incidence of curculio egg laying (creating the typical "cat face" scare on fruit) has more to do with day time temperatures than fruit development (although they do coincide).  Or in So. Indiana when temps were 70 or greater curculio activity rapidly increased.  I consistantly saw this each and every year.  I'd always leave 2 trees (at different locations) unsprayed simply to monitor pest damage through out the seasons.

ed