nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pistachios

  • From: Geoffrey Tolle <Gtolle0709@wowway.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pistachios
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 19:38:33 -0400

For those truly interested in exploring this topic long-term, I'd like to point out that there is a /Pistacia mexicana/ (or /texicana/, if you swing that way) which lives at least as far north as San Antonio in the botanical garden (minimal Winter protection as far as I could tell). The seed is, apparently "inedible" (I can neither confirm nor deny). There may very well be some Winter-hardiness in those genes which could be bred into some hybrids with a european or asian pistachio. Although that technically puts it in 8a or so, I know that they've survived several multi-day hard freezes in the last couple of years. I haven't seen how they've survived but I'm sure the botanists at the botanical gardens could tell you more. Oh, they also have Texas pawpaws and a couple of other trees with potentially interesting genetics.

Geoffrey Tolle

S & E Hills wrote:
This may not be what you are looking for, but One Green World is offering a
pistachio that they claim will take zone 6 winters. I'm skeptical, but were
I not running out of space I might be looking to get one myself.

S. Hills
Zone 6b Michigan