nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pistachio

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pistachio
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:59:55 EDT

In a message dated 4/19/2007 11:44:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time, samurphy@isp.com writes:

Scott,
I got pistachio seeds on Ebay 3 years ago.  Until recently I had 2 trees growing in pots.  One bit the dust while I was away  but the other is thriving
at about 3 feet tall.   Since I have brought them inside for winters I don't know if they would survive outside here in SW TN
.

Several years back Prof. Gustafson from the Univ. of Nebr. brought some pastachio seed from the northern range of China, legally. I have the only remaining specimen of that collection, to the best of my knowledge. It has survived here in Indiana for maybe 8 years, planted next to the South side of my house in a very well drained area, nearly desert conditions. It has never flowered so don't know the sexual _expression_.

Might be good genetic material for a cold hardy breeding program. Will share bud wood and scion wood.

Jerry

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.