nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Strawberry grape

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Strawberry grape
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:35:44 -0700

Grape flavors vary considerably in different climates. I once had Kay Gray at Geneva, NY, near St. Paul, Minnesota, and Osceola, WI within a few days of each other. At Geneva it was harsh and musky tasting. At St. Paul it was pleasant and mild, and at Osceola, WI it was quite fruity and enjoyable. Same thing with several other grapes. One oddity I have called Dobson varies wildly from year to year. One year it was musky and tasted like dirt. Another year it had a distinct metallic taste. Another year it was a strong labrusca flavor. It has never been the same two years in a row.
Taste in grapes is variable, to say the least, according to climate, soil, and the events of the growing season.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For growing supplies and more; http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com