nafex - Re: [NAFEX] honeybees and Einstein

  • From: road's end farm <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] honeybees and Einstein
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 17:37:57 -0400

On Apr 18, 2007, at 3:07 PM, Thomas Olenio wrote:

Who was it that said; "Don't blame me! It was Mother Nature who set up this
whole survival of the fittest deal, and now that she's losing she wants to
change the rules"? Ha, ha, ha!

Oh, "Mother Nature" as a whole isn't losing. Nature doesn't conserve individuals, and doesn't necessarily conserve species. Nature will adapt: something will live through this, and if enough of the ecosystem spaces are left vacant the survivors will produce another burst of new species, eventually.

Nature isn't necessarily going to conserve humans, though. We may not be one of the surviving species. If we damage enough of this ecosystem, we'll be among those who lose.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly