nafex - Re: [NAFEX] honeybees and Einstein

  • From: road's end farm <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] honeybees and Einstein
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:30:12 -0400

On Apr 17, 2007, at 11:42 PM, Dylan Ford wrote:

Rivka - And everybody knows, canaries can't mine coal. Why's everybody
panicking? dylan

Do you mean by that, that whatever is killing the bees may also be toxic to humans, in the same fashion in which the lack of oxygen that can kill canaries in mines is also toxic to humans?

This possibility is of course another good reason why unexplained deaths or other major problems of any species should be investigated, whether or not they're directly and obviously involved in the food chain which feeds humans. Whatever's killing the bees might or might not be toxic to humans, but as long as we don't know what's killing them, we also don't know whether it threatens us directly.

However, it's got nothing to do with the point I was making. I never said that CCD should not be investigated; if you read all of my post, you'll see that I was saying exactly the opposite. What I meant was that attempting to impress the importance of an issue on others by including exaggerated and clearly false information often doesn't have that effect; it instead often has the effect of causing people to dismiss the entire thing as nonsense, which is unwise. It's especially unwise if the issue is genuinely important, as this one is.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly