nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Everything's Dead

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Everything's Dead
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 17:48:01 -0400

Hello Again,

Do not assume that because the first leaves of spring were frozen off that the plant is dead.  Plants have thousands (millions) of leaf buds that are held in dormancy, they are only released from dormancy when needed.

The sun is one of the biggest factors.  Say you have a tree and a large limb is lost to wind.  The missing branch will allow sun to shine on branches of the tree that previously were shaded.  The sun will break down the hormones that hold invisible leaf buds dormant, and they will begin to grow, replacing the lost canopy.

Give your tree/s time to heal and react to this recent freeze damage.

Professor Henry Kock of the University of Guelph, Ontario was adamant that Elms were taken down too quickly when infected with Dutch Elm Disease.  Many Elms are still to be found in rural Ontario, because not all Elms died from the disease.

Elm Recovery Project

http://www.uoguelph.ca/arboretum/SpProjects/Elm_Recover1.htm

…”We underestimated the number of large elms that would be reported, and we have only visited ½ of the nearly 1,000 elms scattered through Ontario. Our goal is to collect cuttings from the most promising of these trees and propagate them for testing. Immune system challenge tests are being done by University of Toronto.”…

Never underestimate Mother Nature, she’s a survivor.

Later,

Tom