nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Boron and other things

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Boron and other things
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:41:42 -0700

I don't know what happened in Dennis' case, but the organic
orcharding/gardening failures I've seen have been because people - and these
have been small, amateur growers - thought organic meant no pest control at
all, or very little. You still need such things as spray programs,
beneficial insects, pheromone controls, and very healthy organically
enriched soil, nitrogen-fixing cover crops, and resistant varieties. The
choice with fruit trees isn't whether to spray, it's what to spray. The
program needs to be tailored. I knew one commercial apple grower who was
able to drastically improve the value of her crop by using codling moth
pheromone confusion lures - hereabouts, the codling moth is our worst apple
pest. Back east, I wouldn't expect the quantity or quality of organic fruit
we have here in California, not just because we have more organic production
here, but our fruit growers don't have to deal with curculio. That one
beast alone makes me respect that there are still limitations to organic
growing.

~ Stephen

_____