nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Delayed blooming - NOT

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Delayed blooming - NOT
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:34:55 -0500

Thanks for the replies! As usual, everyone was a big help.

As an average it takes about 27 degrees F or less to kill the blooms/ fruit
in Apricots. The exact temperature depends on what stage the blooms/fruit are
in. ... At 25 degrees F you can forget the crop.

Great! Just the info I needed. It's not as bad as I expected, actually. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/fff/FFF96/FFF9603.txt
Critical Temperatures: Early spring can cause fruit growers alot of sleepless nights.

I'll bookmark this link. Some good information there. Thanks.

Just be careful in cultivar selection, and as Richard says, pick the late
blooming ones.

I didn't know about this list when I bought the Goldcot, so I was just going by the description at Stark Bro's. They emphasized how cold-hardy it was, and I didn't realize that wasn't the same thing as late blooming (or just didn't think about it, I guess).

I've got another dwarf apricot ordered this spring. After getting recommendations from people on this list, I ordered a Mormon or Chinese Golden or Super Hardy apricot (seems to be a lot of different names for the same thing). I've read that it's supposed to do well in late frost areas, so maybe that's a better choice.

Still, I can't say I'm disappointed in the Goldcot. All of my plantings have done well, but this tree looks the best, despite some Coryneum Blight last summer. I didn't think it was in a particularly good location, either (I'm running out of those), but it sure likes that spot. I guess I'll see.

Just imagine what a lovely warm summer we're going to have, too. Last July and August about killed me with humidity and high heat.

That sounds like our normal summer. But you never know. Last August and September were actually cooler and wetter than normal, here. It was very nice. And after about 8 years of drought, we received a lot of moisture over the winter, and we're about average year-to-date. Average sounds very good at this point. :-)

Thanks again,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (Zone 5)

--
The president is not the commander in chief of civilians. - Garry Wills