nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Delayed blooming - NOT

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Delayed blooming - NOT
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 23:03:55 -0500

You know that Luther Burbank (the father of fruit genetics) believed that the way to get apricots that would produce fruit in late frost areas was to try to use more cold hardy bloom and fruiting plants such as Loquats and cross them back until you got the cold hardiness of bloom into the apricot genes. He never was able to do that but he did produce the plumcot in the process of trying to get more cold hardy apricot blooms/fruit. Just an interesting story.

There are definitely more cold hardy bloom/fruit apricot varieties.The 27 degree figure I gave is just a general rule for most varieties. Jerseycot being one of the more cold hardy bloom varieties because of one of its central Asian parents. In general central Asian apricots have more cold hardy blooms/fruit than most American varieties.

Regards,
Richard Ashton
Oak Creek Orchard
www.oakcreekorchard.com