nafex - [NAFEX] Any advice for Wound cover for large pruning cuts on stonefruit: Is Cu safe??

  • From: "eric" <plumhillfarm@gmavt.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Any advice for Wound cover for large pruning cuts on stonefruit: Is Cu safe??
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 18:31:13 -0400

 Thanks for all the advice, the reason such large branchs need to be removed is indeed poor pruning in the early years, I just topped the trees at the hieght I wanted them, without worrying about lower growth (the little branches have now turned into big branches). Now they just seem to want to grow straight up without sideways growth. I need to reduce the number of "major"  branches to keep the tops open to promote lower growth. The trees are ~ 8years old. Is Copper safe to put on the cuts?  I have Cu(OH)2 so I could soak them, then spray latex on?.
Is there a product over which the tree will grow and prevent fungus from attacking? I have Balaton cherries which split at the base in the winter of 2004 which have fungus sprouts growing out of every unhealed pruning cut.

Thanks Eric

zone 4 vermont

  • [NAFEX] Any advice for Wound cover for large pruning cuts on stonefruit: Is Cu safe??, eric, 03/22/2007