nafex - Re: [NAFEX] advice for Wound cover for large pruning cuts on stonefruit

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] advice for Wound cover for large pruning cuts on stonefruit
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:47:29 -0500

One of our practices here at Royal Oak Farm is doing our copper spray (Champ IIF) immediately after we have finished our pruning. We spray the entire orchard (12,000+ trees) including peaches, pears and plums. Since it takes us about 8 weeks to prune, our copper spray is usually timed with apple tree silver tip.

On peach trees, if you have to make more than a 3/4" pruning cut, do it in May or June at the peak growing time for the tree and it will heal over faster. When I have to make a larger cut, I use apple cider vinegar to spray the cut as soon as it is made. After the cut has dried over I go back and use Tanglefoot to seal it, but only the Tanglefoot with a latex base.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com