nafex - Re: [NAFEX] temp to hold grafts at to callous

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] temp to hold grafts at to callous
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:01:55 -0700 (PDT)

A couple years ago I did a lot of googles for this info. Be warned that by
searching "graft" & "callus" you get a lot of medical pages. I think I
finally hit
pay-dirt w/ "bench-graft callus" or "pome graft physiology".

Anyway, the key factors for callus & tissue differentiation success are
moisture,
oxygen, & temperature. Pear has the widest tolerance for these, the biggest
window.
(Was it Ed F or Lucky P who posted "just get pear scion & stock in the same
room,
for graft success"?) Apples are not quite as forgiving; I think the temp
range was
30 to 90 farenheit, 55 to 65 optimium. Sorry, I didn't read much about stone
fruits
because I haven't dabbled there yet, but my recollection is the optimium was
warmer.

I had some success, 66%, last year w/ bench grafts by callussing in temps
which
fluctuated between 60 & 40-- chilly but not cold. My research told me the
idea is
to hold the plants at a temp which will give better callus formation at the
graft
union, than dormancy break in the stock & scion.

Note I have my best graft success (apple and pear) in the nursery in mid to
late
May. Black rubber tape-- I don't want to know how hot those graft unions get
in
mid-May to mid-June sunshine!

--- Ed Fackler <> wrote:

> James:
>
> Sorry I didn't realize the person was grafting anything other than
> apple, perhaps pear. Normally (or commercially) stone fruits are budded
> using green buds.
>
> If you (or others) are grafting stone fruits they vary like crazy in
> regards to callus tissue formation. Peaches/nectarines require around 70
> degrees. Plums can be successful at temps similar to apple. Don't have any
> experience with dormant grafting cherry or apricot.
>
> And since most stone fruits are green budded I doubt that any relavent
> research has been done to address any "optimum" conditions for dormant
> grafting, but I could be wrong.
>
> ed
>

> On 3/19/07, Erdman, James <> wrote:
> >
> > Grafts of what? Optimum temperatures vary for different species; 38
> > sounds reasonable for apples, but stone fruits need a higher temp, 60
> > sounds
> > like optimal for apricots (but don't quote me, as I don't have any
> > references handy, so I might be off a few degrees).
> >
> > I would like to hear/see/read any recent detailed info/studies on the
> > subject of optimum temps for callusing.
> >
> > Jim

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.