nafex - Re: [NAFEX] wheelbarrow tire is flat. fill with concrete?

  • From: "Erdman, James" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] wheelbarrow tire is flat. fill with concrete?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 07:23:47 -0500

If it is still flat after putting in a new tube, you new tube got damaged in
installation. I found that locally a replacement wheel and tire was cheaper
than a new tire and tube (my tire was worn out after only 30+ years of use),
but if your tire is still good (maybe it isn't if it might have been the
cause of the leak in the new tube), try a new tube or patch theleaking new
tube, and use some of the goop that keeps small leaks or punctures sealed.

The problem with concrete is that it has no resilience, so it may be a bit
uncomfortable to push the wheelbarrow under some conditions, and, if you
don't get the tire uniformly and evenly filled with concrete, and keep it
even and uniform until it sets up, you can easily end up with a permanent
flat spot or lumps on the tire, really making it a pain in the neck to use
the wheelbarrow. And I'm not sure how to keep that from happening--maybe
rotate the wheel at a moderate speed for a few hours or so until the concrete
sets up?

Jim