nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Northern Spy

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Northern Spy
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:40:08 -0400

Hello,

I normally winter prune in mid March (spring break).  There are a couple of standard trees (circa 1918) and I let my teenage sons climb/prune those, and school spring break is the perfect time for that.  (I value my old bones.  Ha, ha)

This particular Northern Spy is a root seedling that came up about 15’ away from the standard sized mother tree (planted circa 1918) which is now dead and gone 10 years.  During the 04-05 winter a mouse girdled the young tree, leaving only three, one inch strips of intact bark.  It has recovered admirably but puts on a slew of water sprouts each season, some as big as your thumb at the base.

I imagine this tree has access to the old trees root system and that must be very large.  It would need huge energy reserves to put up such large water sprouts.

I did bring the top back by about 1/3rd when we realized mice had girdled it.  This was done through major limb removal, not minor pruning.

I am pruning to keep it low while also keeping it out of way of tractors, combines and implements that pass by it.  It is a standard tree and I have to keep a leash on it.  It is about 10-12’ tall now, bearing fruit, and I only encourage laterals at the top.

Later,

Tom