nafex - [NAFEX] Rooting Hardy kiwi dormant cuttings

  • From: "Bassem Samaan" <bassem@gardener.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Rooting Hardy kiwi dormant cuttings
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 05:20:45 -0500

I haven't been able to propagate a hardy kiwi (A. Arguta) from dormant cuttings. I have 80% success rooting them from softwood cuttings.
I had the dormant cuttings in a mixture of 1 part miracle grow potting mix and 1 part perlite. I placed them on a heating mat in a warm greenhouse. The dormant cuttings all made leaves and I thought I succeeded, however 2 weeks later they wilted and died, no roots were developed.
I heard from a friend who have rooted them in bonsai mix, which is coarse mix with no peat moss.
Have anyone have luck rooting hardwood cuttings? what mix did you use.

Bass zone 6
Bethlehem, pa