nafex - Re: [NAFEX] No Royalty patented stock

  • From: Hans Brinkmann <hans-brinkmann@t-online.de>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] No Royalty patented stock
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:18:40 +0100

Hallo Jim,

this is probably the same stupid custom of very, very few nurseries, we have also at Germany.
They just give the protected plant a new fantasy-name, just to sell the protected variety without paying the royalties.
At the end, all involved persons are loosing:
The plant-breeder is loosing his little royalty (to breed new varieties),
the nursery owner will loose his good reputation and
last not least the customer is not getting the suitable plants, he is looking for,
but he is getting a collection of wrong-named, fancy-named and double-named varieties.
We would say in German tongue: Such a nursery is necessary like a goiter!
Serious customer will know those "black-sheep-nurseries", but they will hesitate to buy anything from them.

Ciao
Hans

Jim Fruth schrieb:
Bill,
Getting a plant patent only protects the plant's name from being used in any sale. When nurseries sell plants using their own names, they can avoid paying royalties for the plants they propagate.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

The only (minor) problem I've got is that I finally realized they use
different common names for many of their varieties, so I'm never
entirely sure what I'm getting. I've come close to buying the same
variety twice, because Stark Bro's doesn't use the same name as everyone
else. Well, I'm so new at all of this that it's surprising I haven't
really had any big problems at all ... so far. :-)

Bill

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions. ----
to change other email options):