nafex - [NAFEX] P. trifoliata cold hardiness

  • From: "Richard Moyer" <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] P. trifoliata cold hardiness
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 20:50:37 -0500

Was asked:
"Does anyone know where we can get seed/germplasm of P.trifoliata from the northern limit of it's natural distribution? Does anyone have a P.trifoliata that has withstood zone 5 winter temperatures without injury?"

From what I've read, P. trifoliata was introduced to US late 1840s from China, both by Berkman in Augusta, GA (Fruitland Nursery) and by USDA.  So it's not native, but has been here about 150 years.  What I have from the Augusta, GA site (seedlings from ditch around Augusta National Golf Course) have survived -14 and minus single digits a number of times the last 12 or so years.  They do get some tip dieback.  Mine bloom on wood 2-3 years old, so tip burn does not limit fruiting for us.
Other sources also report survival and fruiting after Zone 5 winters; I suspect the P. trifoliata that is severely injured by such temps may be the anamoly, at least for the material growing in the upper south.

The only other local source I have tasted had powerful emetic properties.  So there is marked variation in this emetic trait, even though all fruit may be seedy, small and gummy as noted by Donna.  Depending on your goals, you may want to consider a better flavored (less emetic) one, which will probably come with Zone 5 hardiness to boot.

Richard Moyer
Zone 6, East TN
Peach bloom buds showing pink, Cornus mas in full bloom