nafex - Re: [NAFEX] cold-hardy figs

  • From: John Smith <friendly27sw@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] cold-hardy figs
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 13:50:45 -0800 (PST)

There's a fellow here in Missouri (St Louis area, zone
6a) that grows several varieties of figs in an
unheated high tunnel/hoop house and gets enough figs
to sell fresh at local farmers markets and
restaurants. Apparently they sell real well and he
gets a real nice price because it's not easy to ship
fresh ripe figs from better production areas. It gets
pretty cold in the high tunnel during winter nights,
and even with mulching his plants die back, but I
guess the high tunnel can keep them warmer during the
growing season and extend the season enough for a good
crop. This year he's heating the high tunnel and
hopes for an earlier, even more productive crop and
less dieback.