nafex - [NAFEX] pecans

  • From: "David Doud" <doudone@netusa1.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pecans
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:30:55 -0500

I will offer my experience - 20+ years ago the Northern Nut Growers had a pecan seed distribution project - seeds collected from  what I recall was described as 'the northern most known pecan trees',  from an island in the Mississippi -

anyway, I planted 10 seeds and ended up with 4 trees - they bore their first crop of nuts in 2005, @ 21 years old - they are about 40' tall,  a pleasant tree with a vase shape - the nuts are small, on the order of 1/2 the volume of commercial nuts, quite tasty,  crack reasonably easily,  shell out in halves if you're careful - I've never gathered a quanity - they come during apple harvest and once the picking crew finds them, I'm lucky to get any at all -
David Doud - north central Indiana - z5, and getting warmer -

  • [NAFEX] pecans, David Doud, 03/08/2007